Sunday, October 21, 2012

Hook Caddy - Tutorial

After going through many online patterns of crochet hook caddies, I was unable to find one that I like. So, I decided to design my own. This is starting to become the norm for me..

Originally, I wanted a roll-up design, and that was how this one started out. But then I couldn't figure out how to make holders for the hooks. In my head it all worked out perfectly. When I tried to do it, well.. not so much.  So it ended up being more of an envelope design. Not sure if I want to keep this or not, but I don't have a way to sell it and I don't know anyone else that crochets that I can give it to. But for now, it holds my hooks, so it's not completely useless. Although I suggest if anyone does decide to use this pattern, make it longer, because when I fold the top over, the needles aren't covered, so I had to put then horizontally up closer to the hooks. I also sewed on a little button that goes through one of the hdc holes, but it does pull it a bit.

So here is my pattern:

Yarn used:
Color A - Lion Brand Grey
Color B - Lion Brand Navy blue

Size H hook

Foundation: chain 46 (again, make this longer if you want the top to fold over more, maybe about 10 additional chains)

Row 1: hdc in 3rd ch from hook (counts as first hdc), hdc in every ch across

Row 2: ch 2, turn, hdc every ch across

Row 3: change to color B, ch 2, turn, hdc every ch across (I didn't tie off after each row, I just carried each color along and switched it every two rows, then there are less ends to tie off)

Keep repeating this pattern, changing colors every two rows

Row 19: ch 1, turn, sc every ch across

Tie off and weave in ends


Next, fold up the end that has the carried-over yarn. Sew both edges to form a big pocket.
*Although it might be easier to sew one edge, then the other rows, then the last edge (I realized later)*
Sew the pocket together in between each color. This makes the little pockets for each hook. They will stretch a bit for the bigger sizes. I did somewhat of a loopy stitch, where I would tie the knot at the bottom, bring the need up two holes forward, then go down the hole I skipped, then up two holes forward, then down the one I skipped and so forth. Does that make sense?
Once each pocket is done, weave in ends.

Optional: I did a few stitches along the bottom just to keep the smaller hooks from sliding out. They do tend to poke through the top sometimes though, but oh well.

For the small needles, just poke them though loops already made by the hdc's. If the top flap was longer it would cover them the way I have it shown in my picture, but since its not, I had to put them up closer to the hooks. I just didn't like the way you could still see them hanging out the bottom. But maybe I'll make a flap extension.

Not shown in the picture, I also added a small button centered near the bottom. Make sure you pick one small enough to fit through one of the loops made from the hdc.


 Question or comments? Please let me know!

Happy Crocheting!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment